This unique Tele was sent to us by the Fender Custom Shop with a prototype of our exclusive Fender Underbound Telecaster Bridge pickup in it. All Underbound Teles will be designed off the sound in this guitar. For more info on our upcoming Underbound Tele run look at this interview with James our Curator in our blog.
Even though there were earlier designs, 1952 is considered the first year of production for the venerable Tele®, and the 1952 Telecaster Heavy Relic is a premium example of this design, slightly tweaked for modern players. All the classic touches are here: 50's Tele Black pickguard, ash body with classic butterscotch blonde finish and maple neck with 60's Style Oval "C" profile. The first Telecaster had some subtle changes from the '51 nocaster, including a slow transition from slot-head screws to Phillips-head, reflected here by both types appearing (as happened on some models). Not only does a lacquer finish let the body wood "breathe" with sustain, it wears in a personal way and is an authentic original-era element.
We wanted to give this guitar the fattest, gruntiest tone you've ever heard from a Tele, so we loaded it with a SD Antiquity Humbucker and a custom Blanda/Josefina pickup, tied together with dual stack Tele relic wiring and a 3-way pickup switch. Other features include 9.5"-12" compound radius fingerboard, 21 6105 frets, vintage tele bridge, vintage-style tuning machines, bone nut and round string tree. Includes deluxe hardshell case, strap and Certificate of Authenticity.
- Model Name: 1952 Underbound Telecaster® Prototype Heavy Relic®, Maple Fingerboard, Butterscotch Blonde
- Model Number: 9237100625
- Series: Prototype
- Color: Butterscotch Blonde
- Body Shape: Telecaster
- Body Material: Ash
- Body Finish: Heavy Relic Lacquer
- Neck Material: Quartersawn Maple
- Neck Shape: 60's Style Oval "C"
- Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)
- Fingerboard Radius: 9.5"-12" Compound
- Number of Frets: 21
- Fret Size: 6105 Narrow Tall
- String Nut: Bone
- Nut Width: 1.650" (42 mm)
- Headstock: Telecaster®
- Neck Plate: 4-Bolt
- Neck Finish: Medium Tint Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Fingerboard: Maple
- Position Inlays: Micarta Black
- Bridge Pickup: SD Antiquity Humbucker
- Neck Pickup: Blanda/Josefina Special (Underbound Telecaster Prototype)
- Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
- Pickup Switching: 3-Position Toggle: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge And Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
- Pickup Configuration: HS
- Bridge: Vintage Tele
- Tuning Machines: Vintage-Style with Fender Logo Relic
- Orientation: Right-Hand
- Hardware Finish: Nickel/Chrome
- Pickguard: 50's Tele Bl