The O Bass is the brainchild of Orange Technical Director and lead designer Adrian Emsley, whose inspiration came from his self-confessed love of vintage gear. Having spent a lifetime modifying all manner of bass guitars, the O Bass brings together all of his know-how in a unique and truly charismatic instrument.
Aside from its impeccably sleek lines and shapely aesthetics, the O Bass delivers the goods where it really matters. Plugging in reveals a sound with buckets of personality – familiar, yet somehow all of its own. A custom-wound split–coil pickup bears a very distinctive sonic mojo, with a well-balanced bass response and a bold and defined mid-range. Players with a softer touch will immediately find themselves in Motown territory, with earthy overtones in abundance. Dig in a little more aggressively and the O Bass responds with an infectious harmonic grind that harks back to the birth of rock 'n' roll. As Emsley puts it, "It growls like a policeman's dog!"
The O Bass first made an appearance in an early form as a demonstrator piece at the 2014 winter NAMM show, hidden from public view in the Orange booth. However, having been leaked on a number of videos on the internet, we were inundated with requests to put it into production.
- Finish Options: Tear Drop Sunburst ｜ Off-Black ｜ Orange
- Construction: 4 string fretted single cutaway｜ Bolt on
- Body: Okoumé ｜Basswood Veneer ｜ A.B.S. Binding on Tear Drop Sunburst & Off-Black versions
- Neck: Maple ｜Dual Action Truss Rod ｜ Ebony Fretboard ｜A.B.S. Binding & Headstock Overlay
- Electronics: 1 x custom wound split-coil humbucker ｜ Master Tone & Master Volume
- Hardware: Nickle top-loading 4 saddle bridge & open gear tuners
- Included Extras: Padded Orange Gigbag with printed Orange Crest ｜ Alternative 3 Ply scratch plate (Tear Drop Sunburst/Off-Black finishes – Tortoise Shell ｜ Orange finish – Black)
- Scale Length: 864mm
- Radius: R400 fingerboard
- Width at Top Nut: 43*6mm nut
- Strings: 045-.105